Thursday, May 7, 2009

Facebooking

I've been on Facebook for a couple of months and will admit I was peer pressured into it. However, it's been a great way to keep in touch with friends and family scattered all across the country and the globe. As more aquaintances and business friends have made their way onto Facebook I've created groups to distinguish between people who I want to know my every post and those that I only share certain posts with.

I've also been on LinkedIn for several years and it's been extremely helpful professionally, especially in keeping track of former bosses and colleagues.

Friends in the music industry have been on MySpace for years. It was always more of a place for artists and musicians, which is why I was suprised to see LMU had a myspace page.

I think there are a great many applications on Facebook and LinkedIn for Marymount. How about an email to accepted students to join the Marymount Facebook page and meet their fellow incoming freshman. It would be a great way to engage them even before they're on campus. A quick search for Marymount College PV on Facebook brought up over 300 profiles. The USC Alumni Association group page on LinkedIn regularly has job postings, which would be a great thing to offer our own alumni through that service.

As we use these networking sites it's extremely important to teach our students what they should be keeping private.
My sister, a college senior, overshares on Facebook quite regularly and I had to remind her recently that she was now friends with an older family member who might not want to know what she did with her friday night.

1 comment:

  1. I know that the Student Life department has been trying to use Facebook groups in order to assist new freshmen in meeting "friends" before they even arrive on campus. That way once the student arrives, he or she already has come connections.

    Alumni relations could be a perfect way to use social networking sites. We could also encourage graduating students to join our alumni group & continue to provide resources and networking opportunities.

    ReplyDelete