Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wiki's



It seems there are a great many application opportunites for a wiki within the college community, both for our own internal information needs and well as externally for student involvement. Couldn't the college's intranet be reconceived as a wiki. This would decentralize content and allow more people to take ownership of the information we need administratively to run the college. I couldn't even tell you whose runing the intranet now or how to update information.

A college wiki that was recommened at a recent conference was
Willipedia, the wiki for Williams College in Massachusetts. Although it's listed as an independence source clearly the college has some administrative control over it as only faculty, staff and current students have edit access. Incidently, wiki's (and blogs, facebook etc) was a hot topic at an annual giving conference I attended last week. So take heart that all fields are trying to figure out how to navigate web 2.0.

ps...yes I am combining last weeks picture assignment with this weeks wiki entry. I didn't really have time to play around with that one until today and I'm too much of a nerd not to complete an assignment.

1 comment:

  1. A number of library's have begun using wiki software to create and maintain their websites because it can be so easily updated, the users don't have to have computer programming skills, and the cost can be much lower than traditional website software.

    Right now our Intranet is being managed by the IT department and if you want something posted the item must be sent to them for uploading.

    Almost every conference I have attended over the past few years have held numerous workshops on Web 2.0 technologies...that is why I am glad that you are taking the opportunity to learn through this in-house professional development program.

    Cute photo!

    ReplyDelete